What is professional model making?
Professional model making is the utilisation of multiple skills, techniques and technologies to produce a 3D representation of an object for presentation, design verification, functional production testing as well as for architectural presentation.
When is model making the best solution?
When automated prototyping technologies or processes alone won’t do the job (for example due to size or complexity), or where the nature of the model requires the use of several different components produced by different means, prototype model making is often the answer.
If the model is for presentation purposes, its production may also involve an element of hand-finishing such as smoothing, painting or spraying.
We have a huge range of technologies, processes and materials for prototyping, additive manufacturing and model making at our disposal as well as a fully equipped finishing workshop.
Why choose Prototype Projects for your model making requirement?
Typically prototype model making and fabrication requires the use of multiple skills, machines and technologies, as well as a variety of finishing options. As a company that has continually grown and developed since it was established in 1980, we are able to offer all of the ingredients required for model making from our bureau in Royston.
Having so many skills, technologies and processes at our fingertips means we’re ideally equipped to offer a complete service for the fabrication of both simple and complex models of all shapes and sizes and for any purpose.
What are the key benefits of our in-house facilities?
- A comprehensive, one-stop prototype model making service
- Flexibility and innovation to add value to your concept design process
- Support and consultancy to address even the most complex model making requirements
- Fast response and rapid turnaround
- Superior level of quality and finish
What technologies are used for our model making facilities?
- Full CAD suite
- 3D Printing (SLA, SLS, FDM, PolyJet, Figure 4)
- Additive Manufacturing
- Vacuum Casting
- CNC Machining
- A fully-equipped model making and finishing workshop
- Fully equipped spray painting shop
Our modelling skills
Our multi-skilled model makers are not only trained in the latest techniques and technologies. They also have years of experience and practice in the implementation and delivery of models using multiple disciplines, from automotive, seats and interior mouldings to technically functional models for complex medical devices.
Our modelling services
Our model making services fall into four main areas.
- Early design verification models: we can make early stage models – not to test strength, flow or durability characteristics but, at this stage, simply to verify how the product will look and feel, we call it a “Reality Check”
- Presentation models: presentation models are made to look, feel and – occasionally – behave like the finished product. They can be for presentation to stakeholders, clients and investors, or for use at trade shows for sales promotion or marketing evaluation and research.
- Advanced prototype models: models can be made for functional testing and pre-manufacture production verification. In these cases, the look and touch features can be less important than the physical and behavioural character aspects.
- Architectural models: scaled precision models of buildings and larger construction developments, cars, aeroplanes, ships and other construction or structural engineering projects can provide a perfect representation of how the finished project might appear.
Emily Lane from Ion Science says:
“The Prototype Projects team suggested different ways to fit the model and base together to ensure it was sturdy. The model created a buzz on the Ion Science stand, attracting visitors.
“Their range of professional 3D printers is broad and, with larger build plates than our 3D printer, it was clear how they managed to print our model so quickly. Our continued experience of Prototype Projects is that they are fast, convenient and they go above and beyond to ensure we receive the best advice and results. The cost of the model also meant we were able to keep within budget.”
Read the Ion Science case study.
Engineering design support
To complement our comprehensive range of technologies, we offer value-added support to product designers and architects to help them optimise their designs for specific prototyping techniques or processes.
This engineering design support is particularly useful in selecting the different process technologies that will be used in the production of prototype models for presentation, functional evaluation or visual appraisal.
Ready to develop your model?
Prototype Projects is a UK-based prototyping bureau delivering high-quality models and prototype parts in fast turnaround times. Our next working day dispatch service is available for SLA, SLS, FDM, PolyJet and Figure 4 parts. We also offer a dyeing service for SLS and a texturing service for SLA & SLS prototype parts.
Contact us on 01763 249760 to discuss your next project.