When is Model Making the best solution?
When automated prototyping technologies or processes alone won’t do the job (for example due to size or complexity), or where the nature of the model requires the use of several different components produced by different means, prototype model making is usually the answer.
If for presentation purposes, the model being produced may also involve an element of hand finishing such as smoothing, painting or spraying.
Prototype Projects has a huge range of technologies, processes and materials for prototyping, additive manufacturing and model making at its disposal in-house as well as a fully-equipped finishing workshop.
Why choose Prototype Projects for your model making requirement?
Typically prototype model making and fabrication requires the use of multiple skills, machines and technologies, as well as a variety of finishing options – all of which Prototype Projects has at its disposal in-house.
Having so many skills, technologies and processes at our fingertips means we’re ideally equipped to offer a complete model making service for the fabrication of simple or complex models of all shapes and sizes and for any purpose.
What are the key benefits of our in-house model making facilities?
- A comprehensive, one-stop prototype model making service
- Flexibility and innovation to add value to your concept design process
- Support and consultancy to address even the most complex model making requirements
- Fast response and rapid turnaround
- Very high level of quality and finish
What technologies are used for our model making facilities?
Our prototype model making skills
Our multi-skilled model makers are not only trained in the latest model making and prototyping techniques and technologies.
They have years of experience and practice in the implementation and delivery of models using multiple disciplines, from automotive, seats and interior mouldings to technically functional models for complex medical devices.
Model making services
Prototype Projects model making services fall into four main areas.
- Early design verification models: we can make early stage models – not to test strength, flow or durability characteristics but, at this stage, simply to verify how the product will look and feel, we call it a “Reality Check”
- Presentation models: presentation models are made to look, feel and – occasionally – behave like the finished product. They can be for presentation to senior stakeholders such as executive management, clients and investors, or for use at tradeshows for sales promotion or marketing evaluation and research.
- Advanced prototype models: models can be made for functional testing and pre-manufacture production verification. In these cases the look and touch features can be less important than the physical and behavioural character aspects.
- Architectural models: scaled precision models of buildings and larger construction developments, cars, airplanes, ships and other construction or structural engineering projects can provide a perfect representation of how the finished project might appear
Anthony Mayne, Product Development Engineer, Wisdom Toothbrushes Limited says:
“I’ve been in new product development for 20 years and need a reliable, quick and cost effective way of getting hold of basic models. The Prototype Projects model making service is ideal for helping people understand design concepts in the early stages, and being so cost effective it means we can try multiple concepts without breaking the bank. Who needs the headache of owning your own 3D printer when you can use this service?”
Prototype Model Making Support
To complement the comprehensive range of technologies available at Prototype Projects, we offer value-added support to product designers, helping them optimise their designs for specific prototyping techniques or processes.
This engineering design support is particularly useful in selecting the different process technologies that will be used in production of prototype models for presentation, functional evaluation or visual appraisal.