Prototype Projects is always looking for experienced rapid prototyping technicians and CNC engineers to work with us at our Royston-based prototyping bureau.
Prototype Projects is a successful family-owned business based in Royston, close to Cambridge, supplying prototypes and short production runs to customers across the UK. Substantial investments have been made over the last few years in the latest 3D printing technology, which has enabled the business to expand rapidly, resulting in the need to strengthen the management team by the appointment of a Workshop Manager.
The Workshop Manager will be responsible for the safe and efficient daily management of the workshop, which contains a full range of prototyping and production processes. The processes are 3D printing on SLA, SLS and FDM machines, Vacuum Casting, PolyJet, laser cutting, CNC and finishing of parts, including painting and a revolutionary dyeing process. At present, there are 16 staff members in the workshop including the team leaders of each section.
The Workshop Manager will manage the workshop team and report to the General Manager on a day-to-day basis. They will liaise with, and support, the team leaders, and ensure that orders are completed on time and to the quality required. Any deviations will be advised before dispatch and corrective action taken or advised. The Workshop Manager will also speak to customers on technical matters regarding their work in progress, as well as assisting the office team to estimate projects when required.
- Management and supervision of all workshop activities to meet customer expectations,
- Ensure that safe working practices are followed, and high-quality workmanship is produced to the appropriate standards,
- In conjunction with the team leaders, ensure that work orders and job cards are issued, and work progressed and delivered on time to the required quality standards,
- Ensure that workshop discipline is maintained with respect to timekeeping and all work places and machines are kept clean and tidy,
- Be responsible for staff morale and assist with on-the-job training for staff, carry out staff appraisals and take part in the recruitment process for new staff,
- Hold daily workshop progress review meetings and report any concerns immediately to the General Manager,
- Take control of quality and corrective action registers,
- Control the ordering of workshop materials and stock levels,
- Schedule appropriate machine maintenance,
- Assist in costing projects when necessary, such as covering key office absence.
The successful candidate will have a technical background and will have worked at a supervisory level in a production engineering or a rapid prototyping or model making environment. A knowledge and use of 3D printing and rapid prototyping technologies would be beneficial. CAD experience and a knowledge of plastics and metals would be an advantage. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic and be able to apply strong interpersonal skills to help grow a very dynamic business. Good computer skills (Microsoft/Google products) is essential.
- Competitive salary of £35,000-£40,000 per annum, dependent on experience,
- The opportunity to participate in the Company’s bonus scheme and pension plan will be provided,
- Annual leave entitlement of 21 days per annum, plus statuary holidays.
Monday to Friday, 08:30-17:30 (½ hour for lunch), occasional weekend work
Want to work with us?
If you are interested in developing your career with a highly successful and growing prototyping company, send your CV with a short covering letter to us via our Contact page.
No agencies please.