What is Selective Laser Sintering (SLS Prototyping)?
Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) is a 3D Printing technology used for rapid prototyping and additive manufacturing of 3D parts with complex shapes and geometries.
A wide of range of part sizes is possible with SLS, with a choice of finishing and turnaround options available to suit most requirements.
When to Use SLS Rapid Prototyping
The SLS process can be used to produce parts that closely mimic the properties of finished parts, particularly where high degrees of accuracy are required.
This high level of accuracy makes SLS an ideal choice for all stages of the production process from concept model through to presentation and testing models.
Our in-house SLS prototyping facilities
We offer SLS services on our Formiga P110 SLS machines, manufactured by EOS GmbH. The Formiga P110 SLS machine is among the most technically advanced and versatile plastic 3D Printing and additive manufacturing machines in the world.
Key benefits offered by the Formiga are the very high quality that can be achieved in relatively short timescales as well as high degrees of accuracy of the parts.
SLS Technical Details
- High quality parts – Formiga quality
- Material: PA 2200 Nylon (base PA12)
- Build layer available in 0.1 mm (performance)
- Effective build volume – 200mm x 250mm x 330mm (Z)
SLS prototype parts are built in successive layers on a base plate in the SLS machine, each of which is then laser fused and shaped to produce a 3D printed part with a range of properties.
The complex shapes achievable via this process means that SLS prototyping is applicable across a range of industry sectors. As well as prototype parts, SLS can also be used to manufacture production parts for use in working models and finished products.
We offer SLS prototype parts using PA 2200 (base PA12) material.
PA2200 is a fine, white powder with a well-balanced property profile that is ideal for a wide variety of applications. Laser-sintered parts made from PA 2200 possess excellent material properties including:
- High strength and stiffness
- Fully functional, high-quality plastic parts
- Excellent mechanical properties, ideal substitute for common injection moulding plastics
- High abrasion resistance, ideal for use in the development of parts with movable components
- Excellent long-term stability
- High selectivity and detail resolution
- Biocompatible according to EN ISO 10993-1 and USP/level VI/121 °c, allowing its use in medical applications e.g. for prostheses
- Approved for food contact in compliance with the EU plastics directive 2002/72/EC (exception: foodstuffs with high alcohol content)
- Good chemical resistance
- Ecological valuation – US Pharmacopeia Class VI Approved
SLS in action
Watch our SLS machine in action…
Take the tour
We encourage our customers to visit our prototyping bureau in Royston so we can show our full range of services and answer any questions you may have about your next project. If you would like to arrange a tour, please contact us.
We offer a range of finishing options on 3D printed parts. SLS parts can be finished post-production to provide an enhanced surface smoothing. This is useful when combined with SLS dyeing or spray paint application on production parts for the finished product. Please visit our Finishing page for more information.
Our service levels are designed to help you meet tight timescales or economy budgets.
Ready to start your next prototype project?
Prototype Projects is a UK-based prototyping bureau delivering high-quality prototype parts in fast turnaround times.
We offer a next day dispatch service for SLA, SLS, FDM, Polyjet and Figure 4 3D printed parts. Use our My 3D AM service for online SLS and SLA 3D printing instant quoting and ordering for additive manufacturing. We also offer CNC machining and milling, Vacuum Casting and laser cutting services.
Contact us on 01763 249760 to discuss your next prototype project.