Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) is a 3D Printing technology used for rapid prototyping and additive manufacturing of 3D parts with complex shapes and geometries.
A wide of range of part sizes is possible with SLS, with a choice of finishing and turnaround options available to suit most requirements.
Prototype Projects in-house SLS facilities
Prototype Projects offers SLS services on our Formiga P110 LS machine, manufactured by EOS GmbH. The Formiga P110 Laser Sintering machine is among the most technically advanced and versatile plastic 3D Printing and additive manufacturing machines in the world.
Key benefits offered by the Formiga are the very high quality that can be achieved in relatively short timescales as well as high degrees of accuracy of the parts.
Find out more about Selective Laser Sintering
SLS – Selective Laser Sintering Technical Details
- High quality parts – Formiga quality
- PA 2200 Nylon
- Build layer available in 0.1 mm (NR) and 0.06mm (HR)
- Effective build volume – 200mm x 250mm x 330mm (Z)
The SLS Process
SLS prototype parts are built in successive layers on a base plate in the SLS machine, each of which is then laser fused and shaped to produce a 3D printed part with a range of properties.
The complex shapes achievable via this process means that SLS prototyping is applicable across a range of industry sectors. As well as prototype parts, SLS can also be used to manufacture production parts for use in working models and finished products.
When to Use SLS
The SLS process can be used to produce parts that closely mimic the properties of finished parts, particularly where high degrees of accuracy are required.
This high level of accuracy makes SLS an ideal choice for all stages of the production process from concept model through to presentation and testing models.
Selective Laser Sintering Process Benefits
Prototype Projects offer SLS prototype parts using PA 2200 (base PA12) material.
PA2200 is a fine, white powder with a well-balanced property profile that is ideal for a wide variety of applications. Laser-sintered parts made from PA 2200 possess excellent material properties including:
- High strength and stiffness
- Fully functional, high quality plastic parts
- Excellent mechanical properties, ideal substitute for common injection moulding plastics
- High abrasion resistance, ideal for use in development of parts with movable components
- Excellent long-term stability
- High selectivity and detail resolution
- Biocompatible according to EN ISO 10993-1 and USP/level VI/121 °c, allowing its use in medical applications e.g. for prostheses
- Approved for food contact in compliance with the EU plastics directive 2002/72/EC (exception: foodstuffs with high alcohol content)
- Good chemical resistance
- Ecological valuation – US Pharmacopeia Class VI Approved
- PA 2200 (base PA12) material
Get our SLS datasheet
- Spray painting
SLS nylon parts can be finished post production to provide an enhanced surface smoothing. This is useful when combined with dye or spray paint application on production parts for finished product.
Finishing and delivery options
See our finishing and delivery options for Rapid Prototyping and Additive Manufacturing.
Our clients say:
“The best prototype material I have used to date – strength representative, acceptable finish and cost effective.” – James Thorn – Product Innovation Manager, Nash Tackle Ltd
“We received a smoothed SLS Nylon part from Prototype Projects and were very impressed with the finish which is far superior to the standard SLS finish. Also exploring the water tightness of the finish, this will lead to new applications for functional prototypes and has enhanced our ability to supply our customers with the right prototyping solutions provided by Prototype Projects.” – Jon Plumb – Director, Cambridge Design Technology