Prototype Projects offers FDM prototyping for low cost production of small numbers of strong, durable prototype parts, jigs and fixture assemblies from ABS plastic.
FDM parts can be used both as early concept prototypes and for functional testing of specific properties e.g. heat resistance, durability and strength.
Prototype Projects in-house FDM prototyping facilities
Prototype Projects uses the Dimension Elite 3D Printer from Stratasys to produce fine detail 3D parts for both presentation and testing.
With the ability to print in nine colours of real ABSplus thermoplastic, the Dimension Elite is versatile range of resolutions depending on requirements from .178mm to .254mm layer thickness, making it ideal for presentation parts and functional parts including medical devices, electronic components and precision instruments.
FDM Prototyping Technical Details
- Build size: 203 x 203 x 305 mm (8 x 8 x 12 in.)
- Layer thickness: 0.254 mm (0.010 in.) or 0.178 mm (0.007 in.)
FDM rapid prototyping is a 3D printing process used for building prototype parts made from layers of ABS plastic. The process normally includes the formation of a support structure which can be removed by hand on completion.
When to use FDM Prototyping
FDM parts can be produced to represent the strength, flexibility and durability properties of the final production part and are ideal for physical testing.
While mechanically ideal for evaluating design and functional testing, FDM models are not suitable for assessing the eventual manufacturing potential of the part or product.
FDM Process Benefits
FDM prototyping is a popular choice for product designers and engineers, particularly in the automotive industry, because of its:
- Speed: FDM is ideal for production of ABS prototypes – depending on complexity, though is not as quick as SLA or SLS
- Low cost: FDM is a relatively low cost process
- Properties: the model produced closely reflects the properties of the final product for strength, heat resistance, UV stability and water resistance
- Testing: Because of the above, FDM models are ideal for functional testing
- Small runs: ideal for small runs of prototype parts for functional testing
FDM part properties
- Heat resistance
- Surface may be ridged
- P430 ABS plus
Support structures are removed by hand.
FDM parts are not suitable for painting.
Finishing and delivery options
See our finishing and delivery options for Rapid Prototyping and Additive Manufacturing.